Tuesday, June 21, 2011

"You're a homeowner now- they do things in shorts."

...so sayeth my snarky li'l sis.  And she is right. 

Because where I live now?  Is HOT.  Not warm, not balmy, not yay-I-don't-need-a-jacket.  HOT. AS BALLS. 

Enter: The Great Shorts Debate.

Since leaving Florida, I have been a staunch Shorts Opponent.  They are flattering on few, can be replaced with a skirt or dress easily, they look like you are on safari, blah blah blah.  Li'l sis, also a Shorts Opponent, understands the issue and flatly refuses to wear them, even in the Chicago summer.  Speaking of hot.

But it's hot here.  And I running errands and unpacking and wandering around the garden and breaking down boxes.  I have been doing all of these things in a dress.  And that just isn't practical or decent, considering I almost flashed the Comcast guys like 8 times yesterday.

So, I found myself reaching for shorts this AM.  I scrounged up an old school pair- faded navy blue from Banana.  They look exactly how I expected them to look: hideous, bland, and suburban soccer mom (apologies to actual soccer moms who are much more stylish than the world gives you credit for).

The shorts landscape has changed, however.  If you have eyes, you have seen them all over the place, in more cuts and patterns than ever before.  You have seen shorts with tights and boots (still HATING IT). You have seen sweet little lacy numbers.  You have seen scalloped edges.  With all of this variety, couldn't I find at ONE acceptable pair?

The short (ha!) answer is yes.  I won't bore you with the details of the extensive searching I have done, and continue today.  These are what I ordered today from Anthro, with hopes high that I might find 1 or 2 pairs elsewhere to round out a summer collection:

Compass Points Shorts ($68):

Ship Shape Shorts ($68):





Yes, yes, they have vaguely nautical references.  At least I didn't get these Smooth Sailor Shorts ($54.99):



Though I love them dearly.

And yes, I broke the shopping ban.  These aren't even my cheat items.  Sigh.

Don't get me wrong- I am not a Shorts Convert exactly.  More of a Shorts Agnostic- ready to see what's out there, hopefully with an open mind.

No comments: