Friday, July 25, 2008

Accessories Love

Ahh, accessories. They always fit. They make us look sparkly. And, above all, they are the best way to express individuality and creativity in what you wear, especially at work.


Many of the women in my life have influenced my love (and by love, I mean obsession) with accessories, so I'd like to take a moment to thank my stylish mom, my fabulous aunts, and my cute-as-pie li'l sis. Thanks for my love of handbages, shoes, and sparkly things.


Ok, enough.


I am listing here the ten accessories all women should have for work...

1. A cocktail ring. Seriously, nothing says fun and funky like a great ring. The style and color and stone(s) are up to you. For god's sake, do not wear anything plastic.


2. A long, delicate gold or silver necklace. By long, I mean close to, but not beyond, your belly button. And by delicate I mean with small beads or charms. Again, I must forbid plastic.


Good for layering over each other, they can also be doubled up to look like two shorter necklaces.

3. Pearls. Yes, even I own them, though they aren't my "thing." You can go delicate or chunky,
and you don't have to stick to white. But if you need a classy and classic look, they are it.


4. Bangles. Wood, silver, fake gold, whatever. Just run to your nearest store and get a set you like. They can make even the most boring ensemble seem fun.


5. Red shoes. Yeah, I've read all the lists of basics you are supposed to own, blah, blah blah. I don't deny the necessity of black shoes, but I doubt that there are many working women without at least several pairs of neutral shoes already.


So, get a pair of red ones. Or yellow, or green, or purple. Just get a pair in a fairly conservative style (closed toes, relatively unadorned, and not 5 inches high), and you will have something fabulous to wear with all of your neutrals. Woo hoo.


6. Pretty flats. I heart my heels, but flats are a great way to break up the monotony and give your tootsies a rest. Also, you can get away with slight higher skirts the lower your shoes are.


7. A sturdy day bag. If you are not a full time student, a backpack is no longer acceptable. If you are still carrying one, get over it immediately. Yes, even if it's leather. A day bag, my darlings, is a larger tote or other style that will hold all of your essentials every day. Note that this is not the bag you take with you on a date or to the bar.


More details on work-appropriate bags later, of course.


8. Leather jacket. If you don't eat or wear animals, more for me. If you do eat and wear animals (tasty! pretty!) get a great leather jacket. This is one area where I am adamant that you buy the best quality you can afford. And the cut of the jacket is everything; if it doesn't fit you well, it doesn't matter how expensive it was. Boxy is BORING, people.


9. Great sunglasses. Protect your eyes and look cool. Obviously.


10. Sleek trainers for your commute. If you must wear a different pair of shoes than your actual work shoes to and from your bus/train/plane, you must eschew a bulky gym shoe at all costs. If I see one more woman in a black skirt, pantyhose, white socks and grubby Nikes, I will be sick. Flip flops are rarely any better, and they are inappropriate in the city.


Where to buy and how to wear all of the above coming soon... Suggestions?

No comments: